The Vocabulary Carnival at SEMANTiCS 2016 is a unique opportunity for vocabulary publishers to showcase and share their work, meet the growing community of vocabulary publishers and users, and build useful semantic, technical and social links. The Vocabulary Carnival is part of the SEMANTiCS programme with the Carnival Minute Madness on the 13th of September and on the industrial marketplace.
What kind of vocabularies do we expect?
Any kind! For this event we use a very open definition of what a vocabulary is. Ontologies, classifications, thesauri, concept and metadata schemes, whatever their format, in RDF or not, are all welcome.
Bootstrap your new Vocabulary project: At the carnival you can present your ideas and early stage vocabs to find the right people to get the Vocab discussion going. We require at least a project web site.
What is your benefit of submitting?
- attention: make people aware of your work
- feedback: a room full of other vocabulary creators will guarantee expert feedback
- linking: discover links from your vocabulary to others on-site
Generous prizes would be awarded to the first three places.
How to submit your Vocabulary to the Carnival?
Prepare and submit
- Make sure your vocabulary is accessible on the Web through a public URI.
- Submit your vocabulary to the VOCARNIVAL
- Come to SEMANTiCS 2016 (Register here)
Present at SEMANTiCS 2016 Conference:
- Prepare a poster (max format A0) presenting your vocabulary: description, purpose, history and link to its publication page. Your description of the vocabulary must include the above criteria.
- Present your poster in the dedicated space at SEMANTiCS conference.
- Brace yourself to participate in the Vocabulary Minute Madness, where every vocabulary will have one minute to convince of its usefulness and quality. Sporting your vocabulary colors at this occasion is optional, but will be much appreciated.
Present at LOV
- If your vocabulary is already recorded at http://lov.okn.org, check its record to see if everything is OK. Ping the LOV curators if something is missing or inaccurate, or if you brush up a brand new version for the Carnival. If you think your vocabulary is LOV-able but not yet recorded, submit its URI at http://lov.okfn.org/dataset/lov/suggest/
- If your vocabulary is not yet meeting the technical requirements to be included in LOV, and you wish it could, we can help you to achieve that during the Carnival.
An independent jury will select the best vocabulary poster and presentation.
Are there any technical requirements?
Your vocabulary submission will be evaluated in accordance to the following criteria:
- Reusability - Which vocabularies and/or ontology design patterns have been reused in its development? Has it been mapped, aligned, imported within other ontologies yet? If not, where do you foresee potential reuse?
- Value addition - How does the vocabulary provide value addition for the intended project or domain as compared to previous efforts and to Semantic Web in general?
- Design and Technical quality - how do the ontologies incorporate best practices in design, i.e., using ontology design patterns or extending from upper level ontologies?
- Documentation - does the vocabulary provide both human and machine readable documentation using for e.g., rdfs:label, rdfs:comment and HTML documentation?
- Availability: We expect your vocabulary (terminology, taxonomy, ontology, etc.) to be hosted on the Web at a persistent URI (PURL, w3id, ODI) and with an appropriate licence specification. If it is not Linked Data or uploaded to http://lov.okfn.org you can get technical help and advise at the conference.
- Usage: Which academic/industrial projects have adopted the vocabulary? Which datasets have been annotated using the vocabulary?
About the Vocabulary Carnival
The Vocabulary Carnival will be hosted at the SEMANTiCS conference, Sep 12-15, 2016
- Monika Solanki (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Ghislain Atemezing (email@example.com )